Sofia Zoo is the oldest and largest one on the Balkan Peninsula. It covers an area of more than 360 decares and was established in 1888 by Prince Ferdinand, and initially it was situated near the former royal palace. The first animal in the zoo was a Cinereous Vulture (Aegypius monachus). In 1892 the first two lions were brought to the zoo.
Over the years the zoo quickly became popular and became a place for recreation, entertainment and education, with its worldwide renowned specialists and the breeding of valuable and rare animal species.
The Zoo of Sofia is engaged in environmental activities by participating actively in national and international programs for rare and endangered species breeding.
Sofia Zoo is currently in the process of upgrading its facilities to meet current European standards in preparation for becoming a full member of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA).
Address: 1, Srebarna Str.
Working hours: 9:30 am - 06:00 pm